Respite for Carers Program
This program offers activities funded by the State and Commonwealth Governments designed to support and assist relatives and friends caring at home for people who are unable to care for themselves due to disability or frailty.
The program provides:
- support and information for carers
- assistance to help carers take a break from caring - this is called 'Respite'
- enjoyable and fun activities for the person being cared for
- Weekends Away to provide carers with respite over a three day period
Click on the links below for further information:
- What sort of groups, activities and meals are provided?
- Am I eligible for this service?
- Do I need a referral for this service?
- What does this service cost?
- Where is this service located, do you provide transport and what are your hours?
- Who do I contact to make an enquiry or to send a referral?
- What other information is available?
What sort of groups, activities and meals are provided?
The respite program offers a range of activities which may include gentle exercises, adapted floor games, table games, quizzes, bingo, craft, music, occasional guest speaks and outings.
All clients are provided with morning tea. For lunch, we prepare freshly cooked meals, catering for a range of dietary and cultural preferences.
Am I eligible for this service?
All carers of frail, disabled people aged 18 years or over.
Do I need a referral for this service?
The carer or a health related professional may refer. All referrals must include consent.
What does this service cost?
Please refer to our fee brochure.
Where is the service located, do you provide transport and what are your hours?
A combination of wheelchair accessible buses, mini-buses and a station wagon is used to transport clients to and from groups.
Groups and activities operate from our Broadmeadows and Meadow Heights campuses on the following days:
Out and About Group for Younger Adults with a Disability
Dianella Community Health, Broadmeadows Health Service, 35 Johnstone St, Broadmeadows Saturdays (excluding public holidays)
Respite for the Frail Aged group
Dianella Community Health, 21-27 Hudson Circuit, Meadow Heights Friday (excluding public holidays)
Coordinated from Dianella Community Health, Broadmeadows Health Service, 35 Johnstone St, Broadmeadows Saturdays (excluding public holidays)
Who do I contact to make an enquiry or to send a referral?
To discuss a referral to this service, please contact
Aged Care Manager on 1300 234 263
What other information is available?
You can find further information on respite availability and an overview of respite programs at the following links: